Re: IN/OUT parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: IN/OUT parameters
Date
Re: IN/OUT parameters  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
> create function foo( out p1 int, in p2 int,  out p3  int) ....
> then a subsequent
> "{call = select foo(?,?,?)}

> This would need to be currently transformed into select foo(?), with the
> other two being discarded.

> It seems to me that the bind message needs to support the notion of
> direction in order for this to work cleanly.

How would it help for BIND to incorporate direction?  What would it even
*mean* for BIND to incorporate direction --- it's a client-to-server
message, and can hardly be expected to transmit data in the reverse
direction.