Re: Fwd: Proposal - UUID data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Mielke
Subject Re: Fwd: Proposal - UUID data type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:877ibonuyk.fsf@oxford.xeocode.com" type="cite"><pre wrap="">"Mark Mielke"
<aclass="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:mark@mark.mielke.cc"><mark@mark.mielke.cc></a> writes:
</pre><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">I'm sure one or two examples must exist, but I cannot think of any. Every

enhancement I can think of that eventually made it into a standard, was first
implemented within a popular product, and then demanded as a standard to be
C99? SMTP? NTP?

It tends to be important for network protocols since there's no gain in having
started.There are now some incompatibles that need to be dealt with.<br /><br /> For SMTP and NTP I think these
protocolsare just so old that people don't realize how much they have evolved, and how many products existed. I wasn't
inthe know at the time they were written (I was either a baby or in grade school), but I bet either: 1) they were
writtenbefore it existed at all (not really an enhancment), or 2) they followed the prototype as it was implemented.
Therehave been many extensions to SMTP that I have been aware of included support for SSL, that I doubt were in the
standardfirst. The "RFC" is a "request for comment". The "STD" process came a lot later.<br /><br /> If we grab a
phrasefrom RFC 1305 for NTP - "In Version 3 a new algorithm to combine the offsets of a number of peer time servers is
presentedin Appendix F. This algorithm is modelled on those used by national standards laboratories to combine the
weightedoffsets from a number of standard clocks to construct a synthetic laboratory timescale more accurate than that
ofany clock separately." This seems pretty clear that the "standard" was updated based upon existing implementation.<br
/><br/> To some degree, except for the simplest of designs, it is almost bad to write down what WILL be done, without
havingexperience, or a prototype to based ones conclusions from. Ivory tower stuff. The purpose of a standard is to
haveone common way that things are done - hopefully the best way - not just the only way that was considered. :-)<br

Mark Mielke <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:mark@mielke.cc"><mark@mielke.cc></a>
</pre>