Re: UUID - Data type inefficient - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Mielke
Subject Re: UUID - Data type inefficient
Date
Re: UUID - Data type inefficient  (Kaare Rasmussen <kaare@jasonic.dk>)
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Mielke wrote:
> I didn't notice that he put 16. Now I'm looking at uuid.c in
> PostgreSQL 8.3.3 and I see that it does use 16, and the struct
> pg_uuid_t is length 16. I find myself confused now - why does
> PostgreSQL define UUID_LEN as 16?
>
> I will investigate if I have time tonight. There MUST be some mistake
> or misunderstanding. 128-bit numbers should be stored as 8 bytes, not 16.

Grrrr.... Kless you've confused me.  32-bit numbers = 4 bytes, 64-bit
numbers = 8 bytes, 128-bit numbers = 16 bytes.

You are out to lunch and you dragged me with you. Did we have beer at
least? :-)

Cheers,
mark

--