Re: Small xlog.c cleanup - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Small xlog.c cleanup
Date
Re: Small xlog.c cleanup  (Matthew Kirkwood <matthew@hairy.beasts.org>)
List pgsql-patches
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> He's moved the "static globals" from around line 286 of
> src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c:
> to be static locals inside of function ReadRecord around line 1216 in the
> same file:

This is not usual coding practice in Postgres, so far as I've noticed.

I prefer to avoid static locals because the fact that they *are* static
is easily missed.  In particular it's way too easy to misread the
initialization as something that happens on every entry to the function,
rather than only once.  So my opinion is that this change is bad style.

            regards, tom lane