Re: page macros cleanup - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: page macros cleanup
Date
Re: page macros cleanup  (Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-patches
Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@sun.com> wrote:
>>
>> Good catch. I lost in basic arithmetic. What I see now that original
>> definition count sizeof(ItemIdData) twice and on other side it does not take
>> care about MAXALING correctly. I think correct formula is:
>>
>> #define HashMaxItemSize(page) \
>>        (PageGetPageSize(page) - \
>>          ( MAXALIGN(SizeOfPageHeaderData + sizeof(ItemIdData))+ \
>>            MAXALIGN(sizeof(HashPageOpaqueData)) \
>>          )\
>>         )
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Yes. I think that's the correct way.

Doesn't look right to me. There's no padding after the first line
pointer, hence the first MAXALIGN shouldn't be there.

BTW, looking at hashinsert.c where it's used, we're actually passing a
pointer to the meta page to HashMaxItemSize(). So the PageGetPageSize()
call on that is quite bogus, since it's not the meta page that the tuple
is going to be inserted to. It's academical, because all pages are the
same size anyway, but doesn't look right. I think I'd go with BLKCSZ
instead.

I think this is the way it should be:

#define HashMaxItemSize \
    (BLCKSZ - \
     SizeOfPageHeaderData - \
     MAXALIGN(sizeof(HashPageOpaqueData)) - \
     sizeof(ItemIdData))

--
   Heikki Linnakangas