libpq block allocated before my malloc handler inits? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From rob
Subject libpq block allocated before my malloc handler inits?
Date
Re: libpq block allocated before my malloc handler inits?  (Russell Smith <mr-russ@pws.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
I am trying to build a small program with libpq as the interface to a
Postgre database.  I am using the most current version.  My program uses
malloc and free hooks to manage memory without having to request memory
from the system all the time.  I expected that the init function
(__malloc_initialize_hook)  would run before anything else, but after
opening a number of connections to the database with PQconnectdb, my
program blows up because of a free which refers to a block of memory
that wasn't allocated using my malloc function.  My program runs without
a hitch if I comment out the PQconnectdb function calls.

Is there something that runs before my malloc init function in libpq?
If there is, is there a way to make it happen afterwards?  Is there a
library interface which doesn't have hidden init functions?

Please reply to me directly as well as CCing to the list; I haven't
subscribed to the list.

Thank you very much for your input,

Rob Stoddard