Re: Checkpoint tuning on 8.2.4 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Checkpoint tuning on 8.2.4
Date
List pgsql-performance
I concur with most of what was already posted.  Some additions below.

>>> "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>
wrote:

>> vacuum_cost_delay = 750
>> autovacuum = true
>> autovacuum_naptime = 3600
>> autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 1000
>> autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 500
>> autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.4
>> autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor = 0.2
>> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = -1
>> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = -1
>> max_fsm_pages = 5000000
>> max_fsm_relations = 2000
>
> These are terrible settings for a busy database.  A cost delay
> anything over 10 or 20 is usually WAY too big, and will make vacuums
> take nearly forever.  Naptime of 3600 is 1 hour, right?  That's also
> far too long to be napping between just checking to see if you
should
> run another vacuum.
>
> I'd recommend:
> vacuum_cost_delay = 20
> autovacuum = true
> autovacuum_naptime = 300  # 5 minutes.

I would also reduce the autovacuum thresholds and scale factors;
many small vacuums are more efficient than a few big ones.
Also, you stand a chance to force the hint bit writing to coalesce
with the initial page write if you are more aggressive here.

I'd probably go all the way down to a vacuum cost delay of 10 and then
see if you need to go higher.  That has worked best for us in a
write-heavy environment with hundreds of millions of rows.

A nightly database vacuum is good if it can complete off-hours and
doesn't interfere with the application; otherwise, some regular
schedule, by table.

It's hard to give more advice without more specifics.

-Kevin