Re: getting around 'out of memory' errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: getting around 'out of memory' errors
Date
List pgsql-general
Rajarshi Guha <rguha@indiana.edu> writes:
> I have a table, A with 15 fields, out of which I am interested in 2
> fields, a and b. The table has 8,000,000 rows

> I have another table, B, which has 3 fields a, c, and d. The field a
> references field a in table A. Table B is empty at this point.

> I tried to do an insert using the following command:
> insert into B (a,c,d) select a, f1(b), f2(b) from A;

I think you are getting burnt by the list of pending trigger actions
to check the foreign-key references in B.  Might be easiest to drop the
foreign key constraint, fill table B, re-add the constraint.  I forget
how smart 7.4 is about adding FK constraints exactly, but it shouldn't
run out of memory anyway.

            regards, tom lane