Re: Crash in pgCrypto? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Crash in pgCrypto?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat wrote:
> On Monday 16 June 2008 21:12:23 Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> David Fetter wrote:

>>> Maybe I'm missing something big, but I don't quite see what
>>> constitutes "proper" that doesn't involve the module's having at least
>>> one schema to itself.  Does this mean we'd be freezing modules in
>>> their first-deployed form?  It seems to me that DROP SCHEMA ...
>>> CASCADE is just the right level of modularity combined with
>>> flexibility post-installation.
>>>
>> ISTM that "uninstall foomodule" will be a whole lot nicer.
>>
>> If we record all the objects that the module contains, then we would
>> just drop them.
>>
>> The module could involve one schema, or several schemas, or none.
>>
>> Maybe that's the "something big".
>>

> I think individual schemas is nicer, since it has helped me getting around
> these problems for years now, while module support is still vaporware.
> However, I am looking forward to your patch. :-)

Perhaps you have missed the WIP patch for module install/uninstall that
has already been submitted (not by me, by Tom Dunstan).

Tom Lane has already pointed out why the schema idea is bad. I agree
with every word he wrote.

> BTW, I am suspecting part of your support will be giving pg_dump -m and -M
> flags to control dumping or ignoring of specific modules?

s/your/his/. Possibly.

cheers

andrew