Re: Heavily fragmented table and index data in 8.0.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Zoltan Boszormenyi
Subject Re: Heavily fragmented table and index data in 8.0.3
Date
Re: Heavily fragmented table and index data in 8.0.3  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane írta:
> Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb@cybertec.at> writes:
>
>> The realtime trace I captured from the hung INSERT shows that it
>> enters two functions repeatedly: _bt_relandgetbuf() and _bt_compare().
>> The pattern in which these functions entered match either _bt_moveright() or
>> _bt_insertonpg().
>>

> What that sounds like to me is a corrupt index (infinite loop of
> right-links, perhaps).  Have you tried REINDEXing the table?
>
>             regards, tom lane

No, TRUNCATE was faster because there were no live records in the table.

How can such an infinite loop sneak into an index?
Hardware is from Sun, not a grocery store PC, so I don't suppose it to
be faulty.
Is there anything in the 8.0.x series that fixes this (or a similar) bug?
If I could point to something in the release notes, I may get them to
upgrade
and they may upgrade to a newer generation even.

Thanks.

--
Zoltán Böszörményi