Re: wrong value returned? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Fred Parkinson
Subject Re: wrong value returned?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
This doesn't explain the error, but solves the problem for me: use a query like
SELECT Max(registration_id) AS MaxID FROM registrations;

Another solution, if you are using a sequenced serial value, is to use the 'last_value' function on the sequencing
table:
select registration_registration__seq.last_value  from registration_registration__seq;

>>> <mike.gagnon@bellnet.ca> 06/11/2008 7:04 AM >>>
Hi,

I've setup a query in my program to get the biggest value used in my "customers" table.  There is a serial column
calledcustomer_id.  I use the following query within my program and it returns, lets say, 3.  If I run the same query
fromthe psql console window (over and over and at the same point where I've stepped to in my program), it will
consistentlyreturn 2 whereas the program will consistently return 3 (always one more).

Here is the query to get the last ID used:
SELECT customer_id from customers order by customer_id DESC limit 1;

I do one fetch and have my result programmatically which is always 1 more than the value returned by the psql console
windowmethod.  What gives?

Many thanks,
Mike