why copy tuple in the end of trigger when nothing changed in NEW, OLD record variable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From 汪琦
Subject why copy tuple in the end of trigger when nothing changed in NEW, OLD record variable
Date
List pgsql-hackers
hello, everyone:version 8.3.0 in function plpgsql_exec_trigger.
in a trigger, if NEW is returned as the result and we do nothing to NEW.

   for example, we have a table like this:
create table test (a int);   insert into test values(1);
and a trigger like:
create or replace function test_trigger() returns trigger as $$   begin       return new;end; $$language plpgsql;
   create trigger before_update_test before update   on test for each row execute procedure test_trigger();

   in this trigger, we don't change the value of NEW.
than execute:
   update test set a = 3;

after execution:
  /* Copy tuple to upper executor memory */  rettup = SPI_copytuple((HeapTuple) (estate.retval));
we come to function ExecUpdate():
   HeapTuple newtuple;   newtuple = ExecBRUpdateTriggers(estate, resultRelInfo,         tupleid, tuple);

Since the trigger's return value is copied to another memory address, the newtuple is impossible equal to the oldtuple.
so the following condition:
  if (newtuple != tuple) /* modified by Trigger(s) */  {
    is FALSE for ever.

   I think we can add some judgment conditions in function plpgsql_exec_trigger() to avoid this problem.

        billywq@163.com
          2008-06-10