Re: PostgreSQL derivatives - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Seth,

> If Aster Data Systems (nCluster), Dataupia, Greenplum, or Netezza is
> giving back to open-source PostgreSQL, I'd like to know about it for a
> follow-on article.  That article would also mention DATAllegro's use of
> Ingres and possibly Eigenbase/LucidDB.  Netezza forked Postgres so long
> ago that I would guess, by the way, that their code stream isn't
> compatible enough with PostgreSQL for there to be anything that could be
> included.

Greenplum has contributed both code and money in the past.  They don't
look likely to do so this year, but they haven't said they won't either.

You missed Yahoo in the list of derivatives.  They've contributed money
to pgCon, and are discussing contributing code.   One of the other DW
companies is meeting me on Tuesday to talk about contributing something
unspecified; more when we do a PR.  Netezza has not contributed anything
to date.

--Josh Berkus