Re: PostgreSQL derivatives - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Well GridSQL isn't even an extension to PostgreSQL is it? It is written
> in java and appears to be a userland application (or middleware if you
> prefer). I could be wrong.

Correct, sort of.  GridSQL is not part of the core server, it is a
separate Java-based distributed database which front-ends a cluster of
Postgres servers.

Originally, GridSQL was written to be database independent.  However,
over the last year, it has been specialized for Postgres.  Some of
these specializations include support of the Postgres wire-level
protocol, an understanding of Postgres SQL syntax, etc.  Coming
versions of GridSQL will support more native Postgres features and may
benefit from some of our internal changes to the database core.

Regardless, it is open source and should always run against standard PostgreSQL.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301