Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Steve Atkins wrote:
> ... cross-platform (Windows, Linux, Solaris, OS X as a bare
> minimum)

I wonder how cross-platform the tuning algorithm itself is.

I could also imagine that decisions like "do I let the OS page
cache, or postgres's buffer cache get most of the memory" are
extremely OS dependent.

Also, the configuration tool would be even more useful if it could
offer extra platform-specific advice like "hey, I see you're using
this filesystem. You should be using this journaling option for WAL
and this other one for data", or "on your system you should be using
this fsync method", or "use relatime or noatime when mounting your
disk".