Re: Tripping up on my first attempt at building PG from source - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Tripping up on my first attempt at building PG from source
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Richard Broersma" <richard.broersma@gmail.com> writes:
>> Would anyone be able to give any dirction on what I need to do to get
>> passed this error?
>
>> /usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
>
> Seems you've got an incomplete installation.  On my Fedora machine,
> crt1.o is provided by the glibc-devel RPM ... dunno how Ubuntu
> splits things up.

$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/crt1.o
libc6-dev: /usr/lib/crt1.o

... so you're missing the libc6-dev package. However, you'll find
there's lots else missing too, since you appear to have just installed
gcc but no supporting libraries etc.

You need to install at least the `build-essential' package, which will
pull in all the core headers and libraries. You may also need other
library -dev packages. As Ubuntu packages PostgreSQL, the easiest way to
get everything you need is to tell it to install all the build
dependencies of the postgresql source package:

sudo apt-get build-dep postgresql

When you configure your custom postgresql build make sure to use a
--prefix that points it somewhere sensible. DO NOT configure it with
--prefix=/usr. A good option is to use something like
--prefix=/opt/postgresql83 so the whole app is neatly self contained.

An alternative might be to `apt-get source postgresql' then modify the
package and rebuild it by running 'debian/rules binary' from the package
source dir. However, depending on the changes you're going to make this
might be more hassle than it's worth.

--
Craig Ringer