orafce does NOT build with Sun Studio compiler - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mayuresh Nirhali
Subject orafce does NOT build with Sun Studio compiler
Date
Re: orafce does NOT build with Sun Studio compiler  ("Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
Re: orafce does NOT build with Sun Studio compiler  (Bjorn Munch <Bjorn.Munch@sun.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hello hackers,

During the Oracle migration tutorial by peter at PGCon, I took an action
item for myself to try orafce on Solaris/OpenSolaris.
As pg binaries are bundled with Solaris now (using Sun Studio compiler),
I decided to try out building orafce against the same bundled binaries
(with USE_PGXS=1).

I see following build error,
/opt/SUNWspro/SS11/bin/cc -xc99=none -xCC -KPIC -I.
-I/usr/include/pgsql/server -I/usr/include/pgsql/internal
-I/usr/sfw/include -I/usr/include/kerberosv5  -c -o pipe.o pipe.c
"pipe.c", line 149: null dimension: data
cc: acomp failed for pipe.c
gmake[1]: *** [pipe.o] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/builds2/postgres/orafce/orafce'
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `orafce/config.status'
Current working directory /builds2/postgres/orafce

Sun Studio does not like array declarations with null as dimenstion.
So, In pipe.c we have,

typedef struct
{       LWLockId shmem_lock;       pipe *pipes;       alert_event *events;       alert_lock *locks;       size_t size;
    unsigned int sid;       char data[];                   /* line 149 */

} sh_memory;

A quick look tells me that this should not be hard to fix, but have not
prepared any patch as I dont understand the code very well.
Is it possible to fix this soon ? This will increase the portability and
would help people use orafce with existing pg binaries on Solaris.

Thanks
Mayuresh