Re: Another quick question... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Another quick question...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Well, you can do get_namespace_name(rel->rd_rel->relnamespace), but
>> I don't really agree with changing error messages to *always* quote
>> the schema name.  I think that'd be overly verbose.

> The problem I see is that imagine you're browsing your logs.  If you see an
> error message (or a notice) that refers just to a table, you have no idea
> which schema the table is in...

Well, yeah, you may need to do a little bit of detective work to
interpret a logged error message.  Perhaps the table name in question
was dropped (and even recreated) since the logged event.  Perhaps it's
in another database than you thought.  Or perhaps it's a long-dead temp
table.  Then we could move to the same set of issues with respect to
the types, functions, operators, etc that might impinge on the error
condition.

I tend to think that error messages should be written for the
convenience of the interactive user, who has some chance of knowing
the context.  Being verbose "for the log" just makes the log bigger
(note recent complaints about volume of log output...)