Re: Error while executing pg_dump "invalid memory alloc request size 4294967293" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Error while executing pg_dump "invalid memory alloc request size 4294967293"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Amit jain wrote:
> Hello  All,
>
> We are using postgresql version 8.1 and our database size is 7gb. Ram Size
> is 2 GB.
>
> while trying to take backup through pg_dump i am getting following error.
>
> oka97:  pg_dump amtdb > amtdb.out
> pg_dump: ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 4294967293
> pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "atbs2_logs" failed:
> PQendcopy() failed.
> pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request
> size 4294967293
> pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.atbs2_logs (sno, request_time, msisdn,
> phone_make, error_code, error_desc, reply_message, request_query,
> responce_time, request_type) TO stdout;
>
> When I tried to take a single table backup i.e is mentioned in the error
> named* "public.atbs2_logs"  then again getting following error.
> *
>
>  pg_dump: SQL command failed
> pg_dump: Error message from server: server closed the connection
> unexpectedly
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.
> pg_dump: The command was: FETCH 100 FROM _pg_dump_cursor
>

> So we are unable to take backup , we have tried the vacuum and reindex but
> not of any use.

It seems to me that you have corrupted data in that table for some
reason, perhaps bad hardware? I bet that a simple "SELECT * FROM
atbs2_logs" will fail as well.

Which server version is this exactly? 8.1.what?

How far did the pg_dump get before the crash? Is there any output at all?

--
   Heikki Linnakangas