Re: [HACKERS] WITH RECURSIVE patch V0.1 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Mark Mielke
Subject Re: [HACKERS] WITH RECURSIVE patch V0.1
Date
List pgsql-patches
Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb@cybertec.at> wrote:
Can we get the rows in tree order, please? I.e. something like this:
Is ordering by tree order defined in the standard when no explicit
order is given?  If not, it probably returns them in the order they
are pulled up, which might be the fastest way

+1 for the fastest way, which I expect to often be "find all level 1 matches", "find all level 2 matches", ... If ORDER BY is important, it should be specified (although it may be difficult or impossible to properly represent ORDER BY for a tree? not sure?) I think most uses of recursive require extra client side code to deal with anyways, so only relative order is important (order within a particular branch).

There are things I'd like to use this for right now. Currently I use plpgsql procedures to implement my own recursion. :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <mark@mielke.cc>