Re: Reading PG data from MySQL stored procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject Re: Reading PG data from MySQL stored procedure
Date
List pgsql-general
A big part of thisinquiry has to do with feasibility.  Another option is to approach those who control that system
whichthe user has to use and get them to be more accommodating with regard to attaching to more than one DB and
realizingthat there are other DB engines than MySQL.

Armed with the info you guys have given me, I will propose to them that they ask their app provider the means to attach
tomultiple ODBC served DBs (this thing is a Windows based app).  That way they can use MySQL and PG and whatever else
theymight have to deal with in the future.

Many thanks for the input.  As I said, it was a long shot. So I got what I expected.  At least now I can tell them that
Iam not alone is my opinion that getting PG date througn MySQL is a bad idea.

Thanks Again!

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Ringer [mailto:ringerc@ringerc.id.au]
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:23 PM
To: Gauthier, Dave
Cc: Merlin Moncure; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Reading PG data from MySQL stored procedure

On 10/21/2011 03:56 AM, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> The software system they are being forced to use gives them the ability to send queries to a MySQL which has already
beenconnected to.  However, they do have the authority to add things to that DB, like stored procedures.  This user
isn'tcoding anything per-se, they're just using the interface provided.  But they can "call" a stored
procedure/functionbecause that's ligit sql.  The data that flows from that goes into other parts of the system for
reporting,etc... .

AFAIK, the only way you'd be able to get from MySQL to Pg directly would
be to install a user-defined function written in C that used libpq to
connect to Pg. You can't do that over a basic connection to MySQL, you
need the ability to install binaries on the server.

The system is too locked down to permit what you want to do on the MySQL
end. You'd have to make a connection to Pg from the client side, extract
the data you wanted and send it down the connection "handle" for MySQL
that you already have.

There's a bit too much hand-waving and not enough specifics about
language, environment, etc to say anything more. Is this some kind of
report-writing system? A RAD environment? What?

--
Craig Ringer