Re: regexp match in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject Re: regexp match in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-general

Yup, I forgot the "^".

Works now.

Thanks !

From: David Johnston [mailto:polobo@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:26 PM
To: Gauthier, Dave; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] regexp match in plpgsql

You are trying to check the entire string to ensure only the specified character class matches at each position.  What you are doing is seeing whether or not there is at least one character class matching value in the tested string.

Since you want to check the entire string you should:

Anchor it using “^” and “$”

Repeat the test: [a-zA-Z0-9]+ ; “+” so we do not match the empty-string

Thus: ^[a-zA-Z0-9]+$

As for the actual question, how, I am unsure but if the issue was (and you never did say what output or errors you are getting) that you were getting “true” for both tests then this is the reason and the solution.

David J.