Recursion in triggers? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject Recursion in triggers?
Date
Re: Recursion in triggers?  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-general

Hi:

I’m dealing with a hierarchical design where changes in one record can and should cause changes in other records lower inthe hierarchy.  I’m trying to use update triggers to do this.  And  recursion would be a real nice way to do this.

What I need to know is if, in the “after” update trigger I make the subsequent updates to other records in the same table, with the OLD/NEW record ponters be set properly in those subsequent update trigger invocations?  Will the current and modified NEW.* values be passed down into the next update trigger “before” call as OLD.* values?  Or is recursion like this not allowed?

Thanks !