Re: Shall I use PostgreSQL Array Type in The Following Case - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject Re: Shall I use PostgreSQL Array Type in The Following Case
Date
List pgsql-general
I actually tackled a problem very much like this in the distant past with a different DB.  I think one of the practical
questionsyou have to ask is whether or not you really need all that detailed data, or would storing summarized data
serve.

If (for example) the components are fabricated on wafers and in "lots", you might just want your DB loading script to
determine/calculatethe count, min, max, median, avg, standard deviation, 6-sigma,  etc... for each parametric test
(e.g."width") per wafer/lot and store that in your DB.  If the end users are going to be looking at wafer/lot stats for
thesemillions of pieces of data as opposed to individual chips, you'll actually be serving them better because the stat
datawill be "pre-calculated" (if you will) and query out a lot faster.  And you won't be pounding your DB so hard in
theprocess.

Something to think about !