Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date
Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6  (daveg <daveg@sonic.net>)
List pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> Welcome to UI development. There is always *far* more argument of minor
>> matters of appearance than over anything else, in my experience.
>
> Which is a good thing (in this case at least), because otherwise we
> would end up with a crappy UI just because a single person thinks it's
> "good enough".

This makes me think we shouldn't be hard-coding anything at all
as the welcome message; but rather having a default .psqlrc
in much the same way that that there's a default /etc/bash.bashrc
and /etc/csh.login.

Within that default .psqlrc we can put
    \qecho "Whatever the default message is"
or
    select "my message "+version();
to create the default, but then anyone with their own .psqlrc
can re-define it to whatever they think is a "good enough" UI.