Re: Setting a pre-existing index as a primary key - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Setting a pre-existing index as a primary key
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Apparently your definition of "easy" depends entirely on
> keystrokes and not at all on memory/cognitive burden.

I was trying to remove one opportunity for human error, which is tied to
memory and cognitive burden. It is very easy to fat finger something. Is
it a critical error? No. Is it obnoxious to have to go back and fix it,
yes. When you are going back to fix, are you going to be grousing about
how PostgreSQL doesn't make this easier, maybe.

> IMHO a utility command should do one easily-explained thing.  The fewer
> options the better.

I would agree with this except that by my definition your argument
fails. You are adding options by not allowing a sane default that
applies consistency to the database. I believe this will cause more
trouble than having the limitation in the first place.

Anyway, I have made my arguments. I believe we are still in the middle
of a commit fest.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake