Re: Converting from 7.4.19 To 8.3.1 & want to use autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Converting from 7.4.19 To 8.3.1 & want to use autovacuum
Date
Re: Converting from 7.4.19 To 8.3.1 & want to use autovacuum  ("Eric Comeau" <Eric.Comeau@signiant.com>)
List pgsql-admin
Hi,

Barbara Stephenson a écrit :
> We are new about autovacuum launcher on 8.3.1 and we are not sure what the
> parameters should be set to.  Is setting them to default ok until we can
> monitor if it's vacumming too much?

You can do that. But the default are, as always with PostgreSQL, really
conservative. So you'll probably need to change them because it will not
vacuum enough.

> Below are the parameters that we think are the only params we need to do a
> basic vacuum and analyze to our entire database.
>
> autovacuum=true
> track_counts=ture
> log_autovacuum_min_duration=1000ms
> autovacuum_max_workers=3(default)
> autovacuum_naptime=60
> autovacuum_vacuum_threshold=50(default)
>
> Are the above settings all we need to start auto vacuuming?

ISTM you forgot autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor and the analyze parameters.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org