Re: table format specification - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: table format specification
Date
List pgsql-hackers
PontoSI - Consultoria, Informática e Serviços LDA wrote:
> I'm writing a small program to recover specific tables from a severely
> crippled database, and while I'm able to identify most fields on a hex
> dump of the table file, there are several 'gaps' (probably headers and
> footers and/or additional info) that I can't identify. Where can I find
> documentation regarding the table file layout? I'm working with files
> generated with Postgres 8.25.

The file itself consists of 8k pages. src/include/storage/bufpage.h and
src/include/access/htup.h would be a good place to start on
understanding the page layout. There's also a chapter in the manual
about it.

You might also want to take a look at the pageinspect contrib module, in
8.3.