Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Benchmarks WAS: Sun Talks about MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Benchmarks WAS: Sun Talks about MySQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
(thread crossed over to pgsql-performance, where it belongs, from
pgsql-advocacy)

Greg,

> I think TPC-E will make both of these major improvements much more important.
> I suspect it would be hard to get 8.2 to even pass TPC-E due to the checkpoint
> dropouts.

You'd be surprised, then.  We're still horribly, horribly lock-bound on
TPC-E; on anything over 4 cores lock resolution chokes us to death.  See
Jignesh's and Paul's various posts about attempts to fix this.

Without resolving the locking issues, HOT and checkpoint doesn't have
much effect on TPCE.

--Josh