Avoiding a needless failure of PITR - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Avoiding a needless failure of PITR
Date
Re: Avoiding a needless failure of PITR  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

PITR always fails in finding the archived log file with wrong size. But,
I think that we can continue PITR if .ready file of the same name exists
in XLOGDIR/archive_status, ie the complete file might exist in XLOGDIR.

I want to modify the implementation of PITR a little as follows.

- In PITR, if the archived log file with wrong size is found, we check for .ready in XLOGDIR/archive_status.

- If .ready exists, we try to continue PITR by using the log file in XLOGDIR. (The log message about the situation
mightbe needed.)

- Otherwise, we make PITR fail as it is (making fatal error).

Is it worth making the patch?

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center