Re: [RFC] Localized literals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zoltan Boszormenyi
Subject Re: [RFC] Localized literals
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Martijn van Oosterhout írta:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:02:37AM +0200, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>
>> But the question popped up whether PostgreSQL can be extended
>> to allow localized literals and apply encoding conversion the same
>> way as on string data. NAMEDATA can be replaced with regular TEXT
>> and have the same conversion everywhere. This way the relation and
>> field name limits are also eliminated. The conversion could be controlled
>> by a compile-time option and/or a GUC variable. Tell me if I am crazy.
>>

> It does convert the table names also, since the encoding translation is
> applied to the whole query string, not just normal strings.

Thanks for enlightenment, I didn't know or check it.

>  A simple
> SET CLIENT_ENCODING='latin9' at the beginning of your dump should have
> worked.

I thought so - the dump was off a 7.4 server with its pg_dump
and there was no "SET client_encoding = ..." in the script.
They insisted on continuing with LATIN9 but with the default
UTF-8 server encoding createdb -E LATIN9 failed.

> As for the other point, the reason NAMEDATA is fixed is because these
> records is mapped onto in memory structures in the backend. By changing
> it to a variable length type all structure accesses would become much
> more expensive.

Yes, I guessed it would be slower. However, NAMEDATALEN
doesn't translate to the varchar(NAMEDATALEN) if I use accented
characters in literals with UTF-8 encoding. :-(

> But none of this has anything ot do with encodings.
>
> Have a nice day,

Thanks, I have it. :-)

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi