Re: index only scans are not shown graphically - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Michael Rasmussen
Subject Re: index only scans are not shown graphically
Date
List pgadmin-support
JF> * DML: a pencil and a table with few blocks coloured (red=delete,
JF> orange=update, green=insert). Attached ex_update.png for example. Not
JF> sure about black crosses in the blocks.

From an accessibility perspective it isn’t safe to rely solely on colors. There should be something in the icon to differentiate by shape for those that may be color blind.
What about:
* Table with green plus sign for inserts
* Table with blue spinning refresh arrows for updates
* Table with red X for deletes
--
Michael Rasmussen
Sr. Data Engineer

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
Date: Monday, November 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM
To: "J.F. Oster" <jinfroster@mail.ru>
Cc: Марк Коренберг <socketpair@gmail.com>, "pgadmin-support@postgresql.org" <pgadmin-support@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] index only scans are not shown graphically

Hello,

Monday, November 3, 2014, 9:40:24 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

GL> The question mark is used when we don't have a specific icon.
GL> The last new nodes don't have that. We'll need to find someone to
GL> create icons for us. If anybody's up for the job, that'd be great.

I've looked at 9.4's postgresql/src/backend/commands/explain.c,
(http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/commands/explain.c;h=d99e5a86f0d5eaf61445affac52c1831d2e39c12;hb=refs/heads/REL9_4_STABLE#l846)
Afaics, we're missing the following nodes:

Insert
Update
Foreign Scan
Index Only Scan
BitmapAnd
BitmapOr
Values Scan (shows up as a Seq Scan)
LockRows

I've recently made icons for DML, just for fun, so if no professional
designer engages in, I could give it a try.
Existing node icons are perfectly styled and have some ideas and logic
put into them. I'm not sure I understand that fully. If there were
some public discussions on existing node icons, please point them out!

My thoughts on new icons:
* DML: a pencil and a table with few blocks coloured (red=delete,
orange=update, green=insert). Attached ex_update.png for example. Not
sure about black crosses in the blocks.
* Foreign Scan: like ex_cte_scan.png, but with "FDW" label on a table.
* Index Only Scan: like ex_scan.png, but a binary-tree-like structure of
blocks instead of a table.
* BitmapAnd, BitmapOr: two lists of randomly chosen small "1"/"0",
with "and"/"or" between the lists.
* Values Scan: like ex_scan.png, but just several separate blocks
instead of a table.
* LockRows: like ex_update.png, but with a padlock instead of a pen.

Please share your opinions and ideas.

Seems fine to me. So, yeah, go ahead.

By the way, I couldn't find out, what a Seek node is and how to get it
into a plan.

No idea. Didn't even know that this node existed at all.