Re: Master-master replication with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dragan Zubac
Subject Re: Master-master replication with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

http://www.postgresql.at/english/pr_cybercluster_e.html

didn't test it myself though

Sincerely

Dragan

Rob Collins wrote:
Hello Dimitri

To clarify the requirement: much like you, we're not looking for synchronous replication, which would be too slow. The branches and central server can be different for about 5 to 10 minutes. But the branches need to be able to function independently if the network or central goes down. Londiste looks interesting, though the documentation seems a bit sparse. Is it really that simple to set up, or is there a fair amount of trial and error in the setup process?

Best wishes

Rob

On 16/04/2008, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> wrote:
Hi,

Le mercredi 16 avril 2008, Rob Collins a écrit :

> There is one central server with 19 branches. Some tables need to replicate
> from the central server to the branches. Other tables are centralised from
> the branches into one totalling table at the centre. A few tables need to
> replicate in both directions.

I'm working on some projects here with this very need (and same scale), and I
plan to use londiste (master/slaves asynchronous solution) replication
solution, which I already use in production on some other project.

The fact is that we want the "branches" to still be fully available in case of
network or central server failure, so we don't buy into synchronous
replication; which is not available yet into PostgreSQL as far as I know,
even if one of the basics building-block alternatives is provided into -core,
namely Two Phase Commit.
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-prepare-transaction.html

You'll find londiste documentation at both following places, the latter is
up-to-date with last 2.1.6 release, the former I'm not sure about it.
  http://skytools.projects.postgresql.org/doc/
  http://pgsql.tapoueh.org/skytools/

Hope this helps, regards,

--