Re: Index AM change proposals, redux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Index AM change proposals, redux
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Ron Mayer wrote:
>> One use case that I think GIT would help a lot with are my
>> large address tables that are clustered by zip-code but
>> often queried by State, City, County, School District,
>> Police Beat, etc.
>
>> I imagine a GIT index on "state" would just occupy
>> a couple pages at most regardless of how large the
>> table gets.
>
> .. Not quite that much, though. GIT still stores one index pointer per
> heap page even on a fully clustered table. Otherwise it's not much good
> for searches.

Then I wonder if I can conceive of yet another related
index type that'd be useful for such clustered tables.  If
I had something like GIT that stored something like
"values State='CA' can be found on pages 1000 through 10000
and 20000 through 21000" would it be even more effective on
such a table than GIT?

If so, it seems it'd give many advantages that partitioning
by state could give (at least for querying).