Re: Query meltdown: caching results - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Norman Peelman
Subject Re: Query meltdown: caching results
Date
List pgsql-general
Gordon wrote:
> (Sorry for the repost but I thought this would be appropriate to both
> groups. I did tell Google to delete my first post but odds are some
> guys got that copy already anyway)
>
> After a lot of hairpulling, I finally found a mechanism in PHP for
> doing what I wanted.  I just had to know 2 things:
>
> 1) How to get the PDO engine to use my customized prepared statement
> class instead of PDOStatement
> 2) Extending PDOStatement to transparently add results caching is too
> difficult and complex in the timeframe required
>
> Once I knew these things I made a PDOStatement extension class that
> instead of trying to transparently add caching to the existing methods
> added a couple of new ones instead.  Code below:
>
> <?php
>
> class Statement extends PDOStatement
> {
>         private $resultCache    = array ();
>         private $database               = NULL;
>         public  $hits                   = 0;
>         public  $misses                 = 0;
>
>         public function ask (array $params = array ())
>         // Executes a prepared statement on the database that fetches
> data
>         {
>                 $hash   = md5 (implode (',', $params));
>                 if (!$this -> resultCache [$hash])
>                 {
>                         $this -> misses++;
>                         // Execute the query
>                         if ($this -> execute ($params))
>                         {
>                                 // Cache the results
>                                 $this -> resultCache [$hash] = $this -
>> fetchAll
> (PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
>                         }
>                 }
>                 else
>                 {
>                         $this -> hits++;
>                 }
>                 return ($this -> resultCache [$hash]);
>         }
>         public function tell (array $params = array ())
>         // Execute a prepared statement that causes the database to be
> modified
>         {
>                 // Execute the query
>                 if ($this -> execute ($params))
>                 {
>                         $rowCount       = $this -> rowCount ();
>                         if ($rowCount)
>                         {
>                                 // Tell the parent Database object to
> clear statement caches
>                                 $this -> database -> clearResults ();
>                         }
>                         return ($rowCount);
>                 }
>         }
>         public function clearResults ()
>         // Clear cache
>         {
>                 $this -> resultCache = array ();
>         }
>         private function __construct ($db)
>         // Class constructor
>         {
>                 $this -> database    = $db;
>                 //print_r ($this);
>         }

> [...]

Gordon,

   Thought you might be looking to cache the completed pages (as they
are requested). I would have thought something like APC would fit the bill:

$key = $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];
if ($cached_html = apc_fetch($key)
{
    echo $cached_html;
    exit;
}

<rest of your code>
...when you output a page down here you store it like:

echo $html; // your output
apc_store($key,$html,300); // 300 secs = 5 mins
exit;

   This way you never even touch a query unless the time limit is up. If
a page is changed, all you need to do is:

apc_delete($key);

...which will automatically re-cache the new page (due to the logic
flow) on the next request.

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062