Re: postgresql-10.3 on unbuntu-17.10 - how?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stuart McGraw
Subject Re: postgresql-10.3 on unbuntu-17.10 - how??
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/21/2018 02:37 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
>> Thanks, I forgot that the older repos also received the pg-10 update.
>> Unfortunately but no luck with Xenial either, slightly different
>> but similar conflicts.
>>
>> My main motivation for updating to 10.3 was to be able to load data
>> dumped from a 10.3 database.  pg_restore complained about "unsupported
>> version (1.13) in file header".  However I just discovered I can load
>> a plain sql dump from that database so panic mode is over :-) and I
>> can wait until I can upgrade my machine to ubuntu-18.04.
>>
>> It still seems to me that the best advice for using Postgresql on
>> Ubuntu is to use the Ubuntu version of Postgresql if you don't need
>> the latest version; if you do need latest version, use the Pgdg
>> version but only with a LTS version of Ubuntu.
>>
>> If you need the latest version of both Ubuntu and Postgresql, you
>> may be out of luck.
>>
> Or you compile it?

That was going to be my next step.  But I don't think a simple compile
from source would do because Ubuntu's package manager wouldn't be aware
that Postgresql was now available to satisfy other packages' dependencies.
So I would need to rebuild the Ubuntu source package.  I have done that
on Fedora several times where it has been, in my limited experience,
usually simple and problem free.  But I have read that building packages
on Ubuntu is much more arcane so I wasn't looking forward to it.