Re: Creating large database of MD5 hash values - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chris
Subject Re: Creating large database of MD5 hash values
Date
List pgsql-performance

> 1. Which datatype should I use to represent the hash value? UUIDs are
> also 16 bytes...

md5's are always 32 characters long so probably varchar(32).

> 2. Does it make sense to denormalize the hash set relationships?

The general rule is normalize as much as possible then only denormalize
when absolutely necessary.

> 3. Should I index?

What sort of queries are you going to be running?

> 4. What other data structure options would it make sense for me to choose?

What sort of other data will you be needing to store?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/