Re: include PostgreSQL utilities into 3rd party program package - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: include PostgreSQL utilities into 3rd party program package
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael Raven wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I've got some kind of PostgreSQL copyright related question.
>
> Our company is developing an commercial product for PostgreSQL administration.
> We want to include some utilities (i.e. pg_dump.exe, pg_restore.exe etc)
> from PostgreSQL for Windows installation package to installation package
> of our product and use these utilities within our program.
>
> Can we make it freely? Whether there are any special conditions for
> this purpose?
> What legal aspects of it exist?
>
> Best regards,
> Michael Raven.

Postgresql code is released under the BSD style license, you are free to
use it as you wish for commercial or non-commercial purposes. This
applies to all source code and generated object files as distributed
with the main postgresql releases (including the windows binary release)

Some extras that you may add from somewhere like pgfoundry may have more
restrictive license and each must be checked individually.

See the following for full license which is also included in the source
files -
http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence

--

Shane Ambler