Re: Commit fest queue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Commit fest queue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The typical way to solve this is to have the tracker send an automatic
>> notification email to a list saying "Hey, there's a new ticket at ,
>> come and check it out".
>
> Unfortunately that is the typical way to "solve" this. And it's awful.
> It's like the ubiquitous cryptic phone call in movies saying "can't talk
> right now but there's something you should know. Meet me under the bridge"
>
> Much much better are the systems like debbugs where you get the actual ticket
> by email. And can respond by email. And basically never need to visit the web
> interface unless you want to see the summarized data.
>
> Personally I would consider any system without at least these attributes to be
> unusable:
>
> a) Never sends an email without the full content it's notifying you of
>
> b) Never sends an email which can't be replied to normally

this is something that out bugzilla demo installation is actually
capable of (ie it can be entirely driven by and automatically track mail
discussions as long as the mail somehow contains a bugid or get's one
assigned in the course of the discussion).

Stefan