Re: Most Occurring Value - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Osvaldo Rosario Kussama
Subject Re: Most Occurring Value
Date
List pgsql-general
Volkan YAZICI escreveu:
> Mike Ginsburg <mginsburg@collaborativefusion.com> writes:
>> There is probably a really simple solution for this problem, but for
>> the life of me I can't see to think of it.  I have three tables
>>
>> --contains u/p for all users in the site
>> TABLE users (user_id INT primary key, username VARCHAR(50), password TEXT)
>> --list of all possible events (login, logout, timeout)
>> TABLE events (event_id INT primary key, event VARCHAR(255))
>> --logs the activity of all users logging in/out, etc
>> TABLE log (log_id INT primary key, user_id INT REFERENCES users,
>> event_id INT REFERENCES event);
>>
>> How would I query to find out which user has the most activity?
>> SELECT user_id, COUNT(event_id)
>> FROM log
>> GROUP BY (user_id)
>> HAVNG COUNT(event_id) = ???
>
> SELECT user_id, max(count(event_id))

max(count() is invalid.
aggregate function calls may not be nested

>   FROM log
>  GROUP BY user_id;
>
> or
>
> SELECT user_id, count(event_id)
>   FROM log
>  GROUP BY user_id
>  ORDER BY count(event_id) DESC
>  LIMIT 1;

If more than 1 user has the most activity only one is listed.

Try:

SELECT user_id, COUNT(event_id)
   FROM log
   GROUP BY (user_id)
   HAVING COUNT(event_id) = (SELECT max(l.ct) FROM
         (SELECT count(event_id) AS ct FROM log GROUP BY user_id) AS l)
   ORDER BY user_id;

Osvaldo