Re: how to returns set of records in PL/python - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gerardo Herzig
Subject Re: how to returns set of records in PL/python
Date
List pgsql-sql
Anoop G wrote:

>Hi ,
>
>  Iam new to plpython,how can I return a  recordset from a plpython
>function?
>
>  Is there is any way give me an example;
>

>plpgsql function
>--------------------------------
>
>CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION function_to_get_all_countries() RETURNS SETOF
>RECORD AS $BODY$
>DECLARE
>
>    r RECORD;
>
>BEGIN
>
>    FOR r IN SELECT  pk_bint_country_id,vchr_country FROM tbl_country LOOP
>        RETURN NEXT r;
>        END LOOP;
>    RETURN;
>
>END
>$BODY$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>

>How i can get the same result using plpythonu and how I can call the
>function (is there any user defined type required like in plpgsql)?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Anoop

Yes, plpython can return setofs. You may need to define a new type for that.
After that you can return a list, tuple, dictionary, set, generator
object, or any

You may also check the plpython version, as i recall, its kind of *new*
issue.

This works on 8.2.5, python 2.5,

For a simple case, something like that would work
regression=# \d countries          Table "public.countries"   Column    |       Type        | Modifiers
--------------+-------------------+-----------country_id   | integer           |country_name | character varying |

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_countries()
returns setof countries
security definer
as
$$
return plpy.execute("select * from countries")

$$ language plpythonu;

Hope that helps.
Gerardo