Re: Conversion to 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Conversion to 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Terry Lee Tucker wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I am converting our application from 7.4.19 to 8.3.1. In the old scheme of
> things, I was generating an interval between two timestamps and evaluating
> the interval string in another set of trigger code. I was doing the
> following:
> IF new.ontime IS NOT NULL AND new.ontime ~* 'ago' THEN

If I understand your question correctly, you're seeking to determine if
new.ontime is "in the past". If so, compare with current_timestamp /
current_date as appropriate, eg:

IF new.ontime IS NOT NULL AND new.ontime < current_timestamp THEN

(Note that current_timestamp and current_date are constant within a
transaction, so they might not be suitable if you have really long
running transactions).

--
Craig Ringer