Re: modules - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: modules
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

> This was simply about changing the user permissions needed to run CREATE
> FUNCTION ... LANGUAGE "C" so that distros/packages could have whatever
> module they want packaged (in system RPM/DEB/PKG context) and available
> on the system in a way that databases owners could install them into
> their PostgreSQL database (using the current psql < earthdistance.sql
> methods) without getting ISP/superuser assistance.

That's not going to happen, at least not like that - the security
implications are just horrible. We have recently relaxed the rules
relating to installation of trusted languages by database owners. But to
extend that to modules in general we'd need some way of designating
modules as safe or not.

cheers

andrew