Re: Expose checkpoint start/finish times into SQL. - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Expose checkpoint start/finish times into SQL.
Date
Re: Expose checkpoint start/finish times into SQL.  (Theo Schlossnagle <jesus@omniti.com>)
List pgsql-patches

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
>>
>>> First whack at exposing the start and finish checkpoint times into
>>> SQL.
>>>
>> Why is that useful?
>>

> For knowing how long checkpoints are taking. If they are taking too
> long you may need to adjust your bgwriter settings, and it is a
> serious drag to parse postgresql logs for this info.

Even if this were true, surely the answer is to improve the logging.

Has this feature been discussed on -hackers? I don't recall it (and my
memory has plenty of holes in it), but I'm sure that after attending my
talk last Sunday Theo hasn't sent in a patch for an undiscussed feature ;-)

cheers

andrew