Re: Locale, Collation, ICU patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Locale, Collation, ICU patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> The other issue that'd have to be resolved is the problem of system log
> output.  I think we'd wish that log messages are written in a uniform
> encoding (CSV output in particular is going to have a hard time
> otherwise) but what do you do when you need to report something that
> includes a character not present in that encoding?

I think the only problem with CSV logs would be in trying to read them
back into Postgres (which I agree is the main point of having them).

We need to be more aggressive about dealing with these problems, or else
how will we ever get to per-column charsets/collations?

cheers

andrew