Re: choosing the right locking mode - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: choosing the right locking mode
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Sure, but you have to trap that all the time.  The solution using a
> cycling sequence keeps you from ever seeing that (unless you managed
> to check out all 9,999 other values while still getting the current
> one.  No locking needed, dozens of updaters running concurrently and
> no need to track update errors.

Yep, that does sound like it'd be nicer, at least if locks are becoming
free at a reasonable rate (ie you don't have to step through most of the
table to find a free lock). I was working on the probably mistaken
assumption that the OP wanted the "next" / "first" available slot, not
any free slot.

If there are very few free locks at any given time I have the feeling
the sequence approach could spend a lot of time just scanning through
the table looking for free entries. Then again, using an aggregate
subquery is far from free either, and it's a whole lot nicer to just
repeat one statement until it succeeds rather than retrying the whole
transaction if it conflicts with another (which will happen often if
there's really high demand for locks).

In fact, both transactions trying to grab the lowest free lock is
practically a recipe for serialization failures, making it even less
attractive. With only two concurrent connections it'd work OK if one
used min() and the other used max() ... but add another couple and
you're in trouble.

The serial based approach sounds a fair bit better.

--
Craig Ringer