Re: simple update queries take a long time - postgres 8.3.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomasz Ostrowski
Subject Re: simple update queries take a long time - postgres 8.3.1
Date
Re: simple update queries take a long time - postgres 8.3.1  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On 2008-04-01 09:44, mark wrote:

> I already am running 8.3.1 [ i mentioned in subject].

Missed that, sorry.

I'd first try to set the following on a write-busy 8.3 server to smooth
checkpoint spikes:
    checkpoint_segments = 16
    checkpoint_timeout = 20min
    checkpoint_completion_target = 0.8

I'd also set
    log_checkpoints=on
to get an idea how it behaves.

But I have no experience on anything with more than 1GB of RAM...

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you