Re: Documentation problem with LargeObjectManager - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Documentation problem with LargeObjectManager
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
David Goodenough wrote:
> In http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/82/binary-data.html it says that
> the return from LargeObjectManager.create is a long, but the actual code
> seems to return an int, which is also what the read and write methods seem
> to want as OID.   Is this a code or a documentation problem?  The docs are
> the same for 8.3.

The docs refer to createLO which does return long, not create which
returns int.  OID is unsigned int, but since Java doesn't have unsigned
types we need to use long.  This was added relatively recently, as the
original API didn't consider that requirement, so that's why we have a
slight mix of function signatures.  In any case you should be using the
long versions and the int versions should be marked as deprecated.

Kris Jurka