Re: table size and storage location - Mailing list pgsql-general

From paul rivers
Subject Re: table size and storage location
Date
List pgsql-general
chuckee wrote:
> paul rivers-2 wrote:
>
>> chuckee wrote:
>>
>>> 1) how do I find out the size, in MB, of a particular table (called
>>> 'capture' in this case).
>>> I tried entering the SQL query SELECT (pg_tablespace_size('capture'));
>>> The result was the following:
>>> ERROR:  tablespace "capture" does not exist
>>>

>> You're looking for pg_relation_size('capture') or
>> pg_total_relation_size('capture'). A tablespace is a named location for
>> creating objects.
>>

> Thanks but I still get the error 'ERROR:  relation "capture" does not exist'
> when trying these two alternative functions you mention above. There is
> definitely a table called 'capture' in my database!

Is the schema for capture in your search_path? If not, include that in
the function call: function('yourschema.capture'). Otherwise, what
version are you on? I don't know when these functions were added;
perhaps you're stuck doing the math yourself on page counts in pg_class.

Paul