Re: How to sort strings containing a dot? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pierre LEBRECH
Subject Re: How to sort strings containing a dot?
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Jon, but it does not give me what I want.

But, this gave me an idea : I replaced the select statement by this one :

select name from t order by replace(name, '.', 'z');

And this time it works. With 'z', I get 'co' before 'com'. If I set an 'a', then I get the 'com' before 'co'. Cool!

examples :

dns=> select name from t order by replace(name, '.', 'z');
   name
----------
 com
 com.enta
 co.aaa
 co.abb
 co.cab
 co.ment
(6 lines)

dns=> select name from t order by replace(name, '.', 'a');
   name
 co.aaa
 co.abb
 co.cab